Table of Contents | What's This About? | RTF Version | Author's Annotations | Livejournal | Twitter

<<< Chapter 1 >>>

My Father Brought the Sky Home

I suppose you could say that I left the planet Earth for the first time in 1928, just after my eighth birthday, and for the last time in 1950, just shy of my thirtieth.

But isn't that one hell of a presumption on my part, dear reader- the notion that there's ever going to be a you to say anything at all about me! This isn't even paper I'm writing on, in my little sanctuary half a mile above the red desert, and as far as I know I'm still the only living creature on this planet to whom the English alphabet is anything but a series of nonsense squiggles.

Yet I find myself determined to leave some sort of record of all the terrible and wonderful years I've spent here, hundreds of millions of miles from anyone who can read this. Is that vanity?

I might as well just lay it all out for you, you comforting hypothesis, and we can both make up our minds as I go along.


My name is Violet Elizabeth DeVere, and I was born in Abilene, Texas at the tail end of a dry, windy September in 1920. When I was a little girl, that town wasn't done settling. It was still a coming-and-going sort of place, and like currents in a river you had cattle men, oil men, farmers in and out of luck, drifters, grifters, preachers, and Great War vets chasing what was left of their hopes in life. And then you had my father, who was above it all.

Now, I mean that literally. He was anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand feet above it all. Howard DeVere built his first airplane from a kit in 1914, when nobody really knew what to do with the things. By 1922, when he bought a sky-worn Curtiss Jenny biplane from Uncle Sam, folks had grown some better notions, and dusting crops became dad's game. The concept was even newer to the world than I was. Back and forth he'd fly, low enough to wipe his boots on tree-tops, bombing fields and orchards with gray-white streamers of lead arsenate powder. He kept that stuff in a hopper that he half-assed out of some old tin sheets and bolted into his Jenny in place of the front seat.

Dad flew the mail, too, starting in the last couple of years before the Depression came on like a bad dream. When the crops had drunk up all the poison dust they'd need for the year, he'd migrate east to Dallas for a week or two at a time, and work the express route to Chicago as a contract pilot. That route was a half-day by air with seven or eight stops along the way, and it must have been in Chicago, in the fight against boredom during his layovers, that he first picked up our shared vice. The little nudge from fate that foredoomed your humble narrator to a life in the air.


They say Texas breeds big men, but dad was never big. In my eyes, nobody who wore a leather flight jacket needed to be big. Dad knew I loved that thing so much that he always wore it when he came home, even if the air was so hot you could see it rippling like a snake just above the ground. Sure, he bailed out of it directly thereafter, but he always wore it until I got my hug.

Now, it wasn't quite that hot, that autumn of 1928 when mom and I met him at the old sod landing strip that passed for the town's air terminal. It was warm and breezy, and dad picked me up and held me against that sun-cracked leather jacket, and it smelled like sweat and engine oil and his pipe smoke.

That smell was and always will be the smell of the wind, to me. I don't mind if that doesn't make sense to anyone else. But whenever my dad came down out of the sky, I thought he brought the smell of the wind with him.

That time, he brought something else with him, too.

"Vee," he said, that being his preferred name for me, one mom never used, "I know I don't need to ask whether you've been behaving for your mother while I've been off fitting blocks into the pyramids with the Pharaoh's other slaves."

"No, you don't," I said.

"Right. I know you've been an obstinate little pain in the behind, don't I?"

"Oh, you liar!" I punched him a couple times, the sort of punches that only eight-year-old fists can deliver as tokens of deep affection.

"Well, I thought you and your mother might appreciate it if we gave you something to occupy that busy little head of yours." As he spoke, he reached into his jacket and pulled that something out. "Damn sorry I missed your birthday, Vee."

And that's how I wound up owning a slightly folded, heavily-thumbed copy of the August, 1928 issue of Amazing Stories.


Let me tell you about the cover.

Imagine a green lawn, in front of a well-maintained garage and a prosperous-looking house on a wooded hill. A perfectly ordinary lawn, with a perfectly ordinary man and woman on it, waving upward. . . at a man hanging suspended in mid-air by the action of the bizarre electrical devices he wears on his belt and his backpack. And make no mistake, he is not falling, nor is he merely hovering cautiously. He is outstretched like an athlete, lying upon the air, swimming in it, and his expression is one of pure, easy pleasure.

He is defying gravity almost literally by the seat of his pants.


I might have been inclined, by the accident of my birth, to a life spent approving of airplanes. But the cover of that magazine, from the moment I set eyes on it, drove me on without rest toward the pilot's seat. After that, I never spared an instant for second thoughts. That breezy day in 1928, my feet forgot the ground they were standing on, and I swore that as soon as I had legs long enough to reach a pair of rudder pedals, I would own the sky.

I'd been a reader before then, of course, but I tore that pulp nearly to pieces with the number of times I devoured it front to back. The flying man from the cover was the hero of a story called "The Skylark of Space," the work of a certain E.E. Smith and Lee Hawkins Garby. I had my own flying belt and backpack the day after dad came home, and I had a pair of badly sprained ankles the day after that, earned by leaping from one of the nooks in the gabled roof. It turned out that canvas, baling wire, and cardboard were much less effective at nullifying gravity than the intra-atomic energy of the unknown metal X!

"Good Lord, Vee," said dad as I lay in bed recuperating that night. He turned my disappointing prototype flying belt over and over in his hands. "You never did anything so damn foolish since before you had teeth. Are you gonna make me regret bringing that magazine home for you?"

"No, sir," I said.

"So no more jumping off the roof?"

"I'll make you a deal," I said, as slyly as an eight-year-old could.

"A deal? Youg lady, I ought to pound a peg in the front yard and chain you down! How's that for a deal?"

"That magazine advertises subscriptions."

"Does it really..." he said, very slowly, a man fully realizing that an extortion attempt was about to come down the pipe.

"Please, daddy, I'll behave like you wouldn't believe!"

"I'm already having trouble believing your behavior," he sighed. "You got some cheek, honey. First you try to kill yourself, then you try to wrangle a new library out of it. Let's you and me have an understanding."

"What's that?"

"I know at least a couple genuine ways to fly, and a cloth belt full of imaginary metal ain't one of them."

"I got that figured out. I promise."

"Then you be sensible, once those ankles of yours heal up. You'd better shame the angels, for at least a month or two. Then we'll see about your subscription. Maybe."

Well, I'm not sure the angels felt the heat of any competition, but I certainly didn't risk my bones testing home-built super-science devices for at least the next few weeks.

And so it came in the mail, a reward for my forbearance, a second issue of Amazing Stories, proudly emblazoned along the spine with the magical word SCIENTIFICTION. This one featured a cover illustration of a metal man wrestling a bloodthirsty lion, just about to break the poor thing's neck. And the contents! Something about a trip to the moon... a voyage across space... a menace from Mars... and more "Skylark!"

"Hold up, Vee," said dad as I made a beeline for my room, fresh pulp clutched to the front of my dress. I meekly handed over my new fascination. Dad paged through it for a few moments, chewing thoughtfully on his pipe stem, before passing it back.

"Just mind yourself," he said. "If I get word that you're climbing on the neighborhood cats and dogs and trying to tear their heads off, you'll think we named you Violet because of the color of your behind after I get done spanking you."


"And Vee?"


"When you finish that, would you mind leaving it out for a few days so I can get a fair crack at it, too?"


The Depression hit just a year after that, and it knocked a lot of folks around Abilene pretty hard. We weathered it by dumb luck. While there weren't as many crops that needed dusting, a lot of the other local applicators hit their bottom dollar before dad did. He inherited their slices of the shrunken pie, and between that and the Dallas-Chicago route we kept above water. People didn't stop needing to mail things.

Dad actually managed to buy a larger house, a mostly-finished thing up in the hills past the airfield, well outside the city proper. It had asphalt roof shingles and a big round porch. My parents got a deal on it because all the original builder's money had vanished overnight, and the original builder quickly followed suit. Old Crooked House, we started calling it privately, on account of the way it creaked in high winds, and because none of dad's repairs were ever going to win any ribbons for beauty at the county fair. Dad was a mechanic, not a carpenter.

I had a good couple of years there. New clothes were a rare thing, and none of us were in any danger of gaining much weight, but dad and I did have our one shared indulgence, that stream of Amazings that never stopped coming, plus the occasional Air Wonder Stories or Zeppelin Stories or Weird Tales. About the latter, we actually argued from time to time. Dad was fond of H.P. Lovecraft, while I adamantly was not. I wanted adventures where the heroes won the day with daring and scientific miracles, not stories where they ran into the night crapping their pants because of monsters that were just too awful to contemplate.

"Well, Violet, that's probably because you've never had to pay income taxes," said dad sagely, when I tried to explain my grand theories of literature one morning at breakfast.

At least we could both agree that Robert E. Howard was pretty swell. Conan the Cimmerian would pay his income taxes, all right- he'd pay 'em in crushed skulls. There was no pants-crapping when that fellow was around, unless you were on the wrong team.

Dad and I shared something else, but I would never call this an indulgence. No, imaginary reader, something so absolutely vital was no indulgence for either of us. I went up with him for the very first time in the summer of 1930, in a borrowed plane, since I was too big to share dad's seat and he would have killed anyone dumb enough to suggest that his little girl tuck herself into the crop-dust bin on his old Jenny.

By 1933 that Jenny was gone. "Airframes are like horses," dad once told me. "A few years hard riding is all you're meant to get out of 'em." He scored a lucky deal on a New Standard D-25 biplane, a ship built to haul four people rather than the usual two. This meant he could weld in a dusting hopper and still have room for eighty pounds of yours truly (though never while he was actually dusting- I wasn't allowed anywhere near any of the various arsenates, on or off the ground). I learned the air in that D-25, making wide lazy loops above the green fields, the brown scrublands, and the slate gray of Lake Fort Phantom.

I flew solo for the first time just after I turned fifteen. Dad was a dot, pacing nervously on the grass at the center of the Abilene Air Terminal, which had been expanded to a triangle of sod strips. I orbited that triangle at various heights and speeds for half an hour, always mindful of that beloved dot, but more entranced than ever by the bright blue world around me. This wasn't SCIENTIFICTION; this could be my life, my everyday life. The whole sky could be my office!

In January, 1937, dad and I flew east to Fort Worth, the closest place I could take both the written test and the flight test for my private pilot's license. My little blue pilot's log noted "45 hrs 18 mins dual instruction / 16 hrs 45 mins solo time," and was countersigned by my father.

A little over two weeks later I found a letter in the mailbox, addressed to me from the Department of Commerce, Aeronautics Branch, Washington, D.C.


You have completed the tests and examinations required by the Air Commerce Regulations for a Private Pilot's License.

Out of the envelope fell a little white card, proof that I had been awarded Private Pilot's License #24,268.

Two days after I received that little card, my mother went into Abilene for an afternoon of bridge with her circle of close friends. A slobbering drunk behind the wheel of a 1934 Buick Sport Coupe caught her as she was crossing a street; a moment later he slammed into a tree and went through the windshield. They both died more or less instantly.


I haven't said much about my mother, Evelyn Morgan DeVere. I don't mean that as an unkindness to her. It's more of a kindness to myself- some things you just try not to dwell on, even with so many years to insulate you from the live current of your grief.

I loved my mother, but I wasn't in her confidence the same way I was in dad's. She was a strange fit with the pair of us. She was neither enthusiastic nor uneasy about dad's career. Howard could have been a soil chemist or an insurance adjustor or a railroad detective; it was all the same to her as long as the roof didn't leak. She did typing from time to time when there was work available in town, and she kept most of the books for DeVere General Aviation Services, dad's grandiose name for his little empire of the air.

Mom loved her cards and her radio programs; she wasn't a reader and she didn't understand a speck of what dad and I saw in our pulps. She'd sip her coffee at the kitchen table, bemused and neutral, while dad and I would verbally fence over how Solomon Kane might have handled the Fungi from Yuggoth. She was like an anthropologist silently observing a little tribe of Texas madmen, forever unable to decipher their private crazy-talk.

She didn't shape me like dad did, or share what dad and I shared, but what mom did was just as important. She allowed me to happen.

Her judgment was as mild as everything else about her, and she thought it no particular shame if her daughter wanted to bury her nose in strange magazines, wear trousers as often as skirts, or spend long days helping her father pull apart a malfunctioning radial engine. She could have tried to bury me in etiquette and parlor games and the labyrinths of delicate fashion, things that might have hung on me and stuck me to the ground as effectively as lead weights.

But she didn't.


It was a month after the funeral before dad would take to the air again. I actually started flying for pay in his place, though I hadn't taken the exam for a commercial license yet. Some things were just winked at, back in those days. I wasn't dusting at first, but I did a photography job, and ran some cargo, and an urgent passenger transport. While dad was grounded in mourning, I went into the air to forget, and wished I could stay there, the higher up the better.

Old Crooked House was quiet as hell with just the two of us. It must have been half a year before I even heard dad laugh again. Lines grew on his face and he lost weight that wasn't really meant to be lost. Age caught up with him all at once, like it had jumped him in an alley one night and beat him hard for all of the years he'd been ducking it.

Dad put on a brave act for me, but he never truly recovered from mom's death. It was Evelyn or nothing for him, and just a few years later he had serious problems of his own.


The world got nervous in those last years before the big war. Our pulps reflected it; their pages were thick with atomic explosives and exotic poison gases, war-rockets and mechanized terrors. Readers used the letter columns for tedious arguments over the usefulness of everything from dreadnaughts to bomber aircraft. I had lived just long enough to witness the first sea-change in the fiction I loved. Bob Howard and H. P. Lovecraft were both dead, and Hugo Gernsback was no longer publishing SCIENTIFICTION.

SCIENTIFICTION, it turned out, was about to be hurled forth from gun barrels and airfields and torpedo tubes all over the world.

I had escaped from high school, and was was constantly doing a two-step with some vague plans to attend the University of Texas. However, DeVere General Aviation Services ate up more and more of my time as dad's heartbreak grew into real physical issues. His hands started to shake, and flaky lesions appeared on the skin of his arms and face. The doctors told us that his devil-may-care early years of aerial application had at last borne poison fruit.

Though we were far more cautious with our chemicals by the time I finally learned the art of dusting, that caution came too late for dad. In 1939, I flew fifty percent of our collective air hours. In 1940, I was up to eighty percent, and dad was no longer handling the really tricky stuff at all.


On December 7, 1941, the Empire of Japan bombed the hell out of the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, and in a matter of hours we were up to our necks in the same crap as the rest of the world.

Rationing took a few months to really kick in, but when it did DeVere General Aviation Services had to be hung up in the closet. We had a decent pile of money in the bank, but avgas was suddenly more precious than rubies. The clamp came down hard on civilian flying, "for the duration."

Every man in the county who didn't have flat arches or one working lung ran off to enlist in something. Every pilot who could tell the difference between the horizon and his own ass was suddenly a hot commodity, unless that pilot was a she.

I spent most of 1942 in an angry fit. I was mad at the Japanese, mad at the Nazis, mad at the doctors who couldn't do anything for dad as he sank deeper into his illness. I was maddest of all, full-throttle pissed off, at the fact that it seemed like any clod who could work a slide rule without cutting his fingers off was deemed fit for aerial training by the Army Air Forces or the Navy. There I was with six hundred hours in the cockpit, and nobody knew what to do with me. A new Army airfield was being scraped out of the plains with desperate speed just west of town, but I felt like every beau at the dance had suddenly run off, leaving me standing alone in the middle of an empty floor.

It turned out I wasn't the only one.


There were rumors going around about all sorts of programs for women flyers by mid-1942, plans heavy with capital-A words like "Auxiliary" and "Alternate" in their titles. There were too damn many half-starts and missed opportunities, but niche by niche and flight by flight we started to claw our way into jobs that I felt we had already proven our right to.

The war was on in deadly earnest, and it seemed intolerable to me that I should spend it glued to the ground.

When the Japanese roared in over Oahu, the Brits had already been using women to handle transport and ferry missions for some time. Anything they could do to free their men up for combat flying, they did- the only real barrier England still had against a German invasion was built ten thousand feet in the air.

There was a little team of British and American women delivering aircraft across the Atlantic- I heard about them, but had no strings I could tug to get involved. At first they were barely allowed to handle trainers, but by the middle of the war they were supposedly saddling up anything with wings. Closer to home, there was also a group of women working under private contracts to ferry new planes, still warm from the assembly lines, to the AAF bases where they would be manned and geared for fighting. Again, though, it was a matter of connections, and I had none that counted.

I finally got my big chance in late 1942, when two distinct new opportunities for female pilots opened up. The first was Nancy Harkness Love's Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Service, which dove in and did transport work relatively quickly. It was a hand-picked cadre of about thirty women, and never got any bigger. Stop me if you've heard this refrain before, dear reader, but your Texas girl simply had no cards she could play to get herself through that door.

No, I hitched my wagon to something called the Women's Flying Training Detachment, which was the brain-child of another famous aviatrix, Jackie Cochran. I later heard that about 25,000 women applied to the WFTD waiting list, but most of them were bounced immediately for lack of flight hours. Remember what I said earlier about clods barely capable of working a slipstick without causing grievous bodily injury? Well, that was fine for men. Uncle Sam would hold your face against the grindstone until you sprouted a pair of silver wings. Women, on the other hand, had to have our qualifications in hand before we even knocked on the door. Valid commercial licenses and a couple hundred hours in the air- those requirements eased as the war went on, but they were never entirely lifted.

I remember the day I sat in the living room, filling out the paperwork for my application, while dad half-dozed and watched from his favorite armchair. We never admitted it out loud, but his flying days were done. His skin was graying, his hair was coming out, and he needed a cane to keep himself upright on the walk from his bedroom to the water closet. He was forty-eight and looked seventy.

"Are you sure you're all right with this?" I asked.

"Vee," he said, his voice trembling, "I checked you out in things like blind-flying and stall recovery, not god-damned stenography. You know as well as I do this ain't no choice."

"I didn't mean my flying," I said, "I meant my leaving you on your own, with your-"

"My what, my delicate condition?" He did a fair impression of a hearty laugh. "Violet Elizabeth, I do not need my napkin tucked in for me just yet, or my ass wiped. Anyhow, if you got busy elsewhere, I might have time to square us on that pile of magazines you've been treating as a private reserve."

Just about the only good news in the messy months right after Pearl Harbor was that the pulps kept coming. The brains behind them might have found jobs in war bureaus and shipyards and munitions factories, but they were as much in thrall to their typewriters as ever. Amazing had gone stale, but that was no loss when there was something as juicy as Astounding Science Fiction to pick up the slack, and I read every issue.

Dad tried to keep up, but his vision and his decaying concentration were in conspiracy against his pleasure. Mostly he just used the magazines to sort of decorate himself when he fell asleep, as though I might be convinced things were the same as ever. I knew better.


My licenses and my long hours in our family D-25 skipped my application past the first set of obstacles; one of Jackie Cochran's personal assistants came to town for an interview just two weeks after I sent my papers off. I copped early to the fact that the interviewer was looking for an excuse to blackball me as some sort of hellcat or trouble magnet; fortunately, I'd decided to dress and act as though I was applying for a job as a receptionist at a nunnery. "Shame the angels," my dad had once told me, and surely this was a prize as much worth behaving for as that precious subscription all those years before.

Well, they fell for it.

I was too late to be accepted into the very first pack of WFTD girls, who were sent down to Houston for their training. It took a few more weeks to sort out just where I was going, and when.

Ultimately, once I'd passed my AAF physical, I found myself assigned to the fourth wave of WFTD hopefuls, class 43-W-4. My new home would be a place called Avenger Field, near Sweetwater, not fifty miles west of where I sat in Old Crooked House on the day I opened my acceptance letter and final instructions.

Before the war, I could have hopped it in a plane and been there in half an hour, as easily and thoughtlessly as someone else might have made a telephone call. But those days were put away like an old toy. I stood in line for a train ticket like everyone else.

I left home with the sunrise on March 4, 1943. I was on my way to learn the ropes of some of the hottest aircraft in the world, pursuit planes and high-altitude bombers that could take me up to where the blue met the black, like ships in the stories I had always treasured. But I was en route to those wonders on a rusting iron track, behind an engine that had been doing business when Mark Twain was still a going concern, and the brown Texas hills outside my window rolled by so slow, so slow.


Next: The Red Cloud Over Texas

Table of Contents | What's This About? | RTF Version | Author's Annotations | Livejournal | Twitter


All site contents © 2009 Scott Lynch except where noted.
Artwork and Logo Design by Clarence Harrison.